Chicagoland Veterinary Behavior Consultants310 E US HWY 30Schererville, IN 46375
CARING FOR OUR CLIENTS AND PATIENTS DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC
We are still here to serve our clients and their pets during this challenging and uncertain time with a few modifications - all our appointments will be conducted virtually via Zoom until further notice. Our clients and patients will continue to receive the same level of attention and care as we have always provided so there is no reason to delay scheduling an appointment for pets in need.
The only difference between the in-person appointment and the virtual appointment is that we will have to work with your primary care veterinarian to prescribe medications for your pet. Since we are temporarily not seeing new patients in-office, we are legally not allowed to prescribe medications until we establish a Veterinarian-Client-Patient-Relationship (VCPR) with an in-office visit. In this case, we will contact the pet’s primary care veterinarian with our assessment and provide medication suggestions. We will ask that veterinarian to review our assessment and consider our recommendations and prescribe medication. The primary care veterinarian will need to have a current VCPR which requires that the veterinarian has assessed the pet’s health within the last 12 months.
Regarding the consultation:
- Initial behavior consultations will continue to be approximately 1.5-2 hours in duration.
- Before your appointment, you will receive an email with a link to enter the Zoom chat room at your appointment time.
- We will thoroughly review and discuss the pet’s behavioral and medical history.
- Observation of the pet’s behavior can be done via pre-recorded video and submitted to us in advance by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or short videos can be texted to 219-781-6868.
- The ideal video would show some brief examples of a normal day in the life of the pet.
- We ask that clients do not purposely set a pet up to perform aggressive behavior in order to obtain video.
- The pet’s behavior can be observed directly during the tele-consult.
- A discussion of the concerning behaviors and possible causes will follow.
- Recommendations for management will be discussed and behavior modification techniques will be presented.
- If behavior medications are indicated:
- Medication options will be discussed with the client including the benefits and risks.
- Our assessment and medication suggestions will be sent to the pet’s primary care veterinarian for their consideration.
- If the primary care veterinarian is agreeable to our suggestions, based on their knowledge of the patient’s overall health and current VCPR, we will request that they prescribe the medication.
- At the end of the initial consult, a follow up consult, will be scheduled for roughly two months
- This follow up consult is included in the initial consult package at no additional fee.
- This 30-60 minute follow up visit will likely remain as virtual.
- If the social distancing recommendations for Covid-19 have changed, we encourage the follow up consult be done in-office.
- After the consult, written reports of the consult assessment and recommendations will be emailed to both the client and the primary care veterinarian.
- Initial Tele-consultations will continue to include a 3-month email support package to monitor progress with the treatment plan and answer any questions
- If medications are in use, the primary care veterinarian will be included in the email correspondence, as they will be responsible for any medications adjustments that are recommended during this email support period.
If you have questions about these temporary changes, please contact us by email at email@example.com or by voice mail at 630-231-154. We appreciate everyone’s understanding and cooperation during this unprecedented and difficult time. Our goal is to provide the same level of care to help keep pets and their families living in harmony together.